Eligibility Determination of BOD Nominees
If you are nominated by a delegate or decide to run on your own for an open seat, you will need to meet the Requirements listed, adhere to the Commitments Letter, and provide the following Personal Information to the Registrar of Voters (email@example.com) at or before the start of Congress.
- You must be a person in recovery from substance addiction.
- You must be a member of LifeRing Secular Recovery.
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- You must have abstained from alcohol and illicit or nonmedically indicated drugs continuously for at least two years prior to commencing service.
You agree to abide by these conditions if elected to the Board of Directors
- As a Board Member, you will have to participate in our monthly Board meetings, which are usually held by conference call on the second Sunday of each month and last about ninety minutes. Please take the time to prepare for these meetings by reading any document sent to you prior to each meeting.
- We encourage you to take on one of the Officer positions (such as Secretary or Treasurer) or any other of the administrative positions, since all work at all levels, except for our part-time office administer, is done by volunteers.
- We expect that you would be active in the organization in other ways as well, by starting a LifeRing meeting in your area, helping to convene existing ones, or by serving as a local, regional, or on-line coordinator. Alternatively, you could serve on one of our committees for fundraising, website planning, conferences, annual meeting planning and/or presentations.
- Five to six hours of your time per month should suffice to meet these obligations. However, you are more than welcome to build your commitment as your situation allows.
- You are strongly recommended to attend the Annual Meeting. This meeting is a weekend event that traditionally alternates between a San Francisco Bay Area location one year and a location in the greater United States or Canada during the alternate year.
- Make an annual gift to LifeRing according to your personal means, and with the realization that the leadership role the Board plays in fund development.
- Assist the Board with the development and implementation of fund development strategies.
- Make board service one of you’re giving and serving priorities for the year.
- Communication is crucial to a well-run organization.
- LifeRing, because of costs and the diverse location of board members, relies on emails communication between monthly meetings to get the work done. As a result, we request that you, as a board member, make a conscious and routine effort to check your board email every day and respond to it in a prompt and professional manner.
- To help with LifeRing communications, each board member will be given a LifeRing email address. All Board communication will use this LifeRing email address. Please integrate this email address into your primary email client for easier access and communication.
- All meeting use the Zoom video services. You need access to a computer, tablet, or smartphone with video/audio availability and a fast internet connection to participate. Call in numbers are available for phone use as a backup. The LifeRing office will provide the internet links and phone numbers for the Zoom service as needed.
- LifeRing Board Members not only represent the organization and what it stands for but are also exemplars for other people in recovery who come to LifeRing for help and support. Members of the Board of Directors must themselves be in recovery and have at least two years of sobriety at the beginning of their term. Board Members who do not remain sober automatically resign their positions.
- Unless there is a compelling reason agreed to by the rest of the Board to the contrary, your name and your LifeRing email address (see “Electronic Communications” above) will be published on our website, and your name and short biography may be included in grant applications that we submit to organizations or individual grant givers.
End of Commitment Letter
Personal Information needed:
- First and Last Name (posted on the website)
- Address (City and State/Provence information will be posted on the website)
- Telephone number (not posted on the website)
- Email address (not posted on the website)
- Length of time sober (posted on the website)
- Personal Statement - why do you want to be on the Board of Directors, what talents and abilities will you bring to the Board (posted on the website)
- Headshot photo (optional) (posted on the website)
- Resume or curriculum vitae (optional) (posted on the website)
Please forward this information to the Registrar of Voters (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by postal mail (LifeRing address listed in the footer) at your earliest convenience.
Note: Your Name, City and State/Provence, Photo, Length of time sober, Personal Statement, and Resume/CV will be posted on the website. Your other personal information will not be available for public viewing.