Starting a LifeRing Meeting
To be a Convenor:
- Review what a LifeRing Convenor is here.
- You need at least six months of continuous sobriety.
- Be familiar with LifeRing's ”3-S” philosophy of Sobriety, Secularity, and Self-Help. See here.
- Be knowledgeable of the contents of "How Was Your Week?" The Convenor's Handbook. It offers an excellent overview of how a meeting is set up, the role of you as the convenor of the meeting, and an overview of the LifeRing organization. There is a free PDF version of an older edition here.
- "How Was Your Week?" and other important LifeRing books are available in a "Starter Kit" for new convenors. Look here for additional information and special pricing.
- You need to adhere to the LifeRing Meeting Charter* (See below). A personalized version of this charter will be sent to you once your meeting is up and running.
- LifeRing requires you to have a contact email address that you monitor frequently and that you are competent enough to use as needed.
- We will use the email address provided to sign you up on the convenor's email list and to send you periodical email announcements and newsletters as they happen.
- A contact phone number for our files.
- LifeRing hosts a monthly Convenor meeting (Zoom meeting every third Saturday or Sunday of the month at 9:00 am PT) and a quarterly convenor workshop (same day and time as the convenor meetings, but once every three months). You are strongly encouraged to attend these meetings. Zoom links and agendas will be available via the convenor's email list. Invite and meeting agenda will be posted on the covener's list in a timely manner.
*LifeRing Meeting Charter
“LifeRing, Inc. hereby grants the (location or Online meeting #) meeting this charter to display the LifeRing logo and to use the name, “LifeRing Secular Recovery” and any short forms thereof, to promote sobriety, secularity, and self-help. This charter is valid so long as the Meeting remains actively dedicated to these goals. For the duration of this charter, LifeRing Secular Recovery Service Center promises to list the Meeting on the LifeRing meeting list, to notify the Meeting of any publications or events that may affect it, to include the Meeting in the democratic internal decision-making process of LifeRing, Inc. pursuant to the LifeRing Bylaws, and to serve the Meeting’s needs to the best of its ability. In turn, the Meeting promises to keep the LSR Service Center informed of the current name, address, phone number, and if applicable, email address of at least one contact person for the Meeting, to notify the Center promptly of any change in its meeting time, place, Internet address if applicable, or description, and to support LifeRing, Inc. financially to the extent the Meeting sees fit. LifeRing, Inc., owner of the LifeRing logo and of the service mark “LifeRing Secular Recovery,” is chartered as a nonprofit corporation to serve recovering alcoholics and addicts, and the general public, by organizing meetings dedicated to sobriety, secularity, and self-help, and by providing educational information toward that end. By “sobriety” LifeRing means complete abstinence from alcohol and illicit or non-medically indicated drugs.”
Now to choose the type of meeting you want to convene.
Starting a new Face-to-Face Meeting
- Face-to-Face Meeting Format
- Find a meeting location in your local community and select a day and time for your weekly meetings.
- Submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org and a meeting information form will be sent to the recipient's email address.
- Invite your friends in recovery and other local peers to attend the meeting … that’s it!
Starting a New LifeRing Video Meeting
- Online Meeting Format.
- You need to decide if the meeting is public or private:
- a public meeting (listed on the website: Online Meeting Schedule)
- or a private meeting - it's your responsibility to get the meeting information out to your meeting group.
- You also need to decide on a hosting service:
- LifeRing Zoom Link (LifeRing will provide the login credentials into a Zoom account)
- or a private Video Account (you as the owner of the account will provide access)
- Email the LifeRing Service Center at email@example.com to introduce yourself and let us know the day and time of your new meeting. Is it a public or private meeting, and the hosting platform you want to use (LifeRing uses the Zoom platform)?
- A "Get to Know You" Zoom meeting will be set up by LifeRing at your time and convenience for follow-up questions and discussion.
- If this is a LifeRing Zoom meeting, additional documentation will be supplied including login credentials and instructions for logging in to your Zoom account.
- Invite your friends in recovery to your meeting.
For online meetings, a potential convenor can also:
- become a substitute convenor - please contact the Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
- co-convene a meeting with another convenor who already has a meeting going - contact the convenor in question (the Service Center can supply the contact information) and arrange to help co-convene the meeting.